Charleston, SC dentist describes the advantages of porcelain veneers to enhance the smile
Patients interested in enhancing their smiles affordably and effectively are welcome to speak to the dentist in our Charleston, SC area practice. Dr. Andrew Greenberg and his team can help patients achieve the smiles of their dreams, even when imperfections exist. This is often done with porcelain veneers. Porcelain veneers are a highly requested cosmetic solution available in our practice because of their many advantages.
What are porcelain veneers?
Porcelain veneers are thin facings that can be used to disguise problem areas of the smile. These facings are approximately the same thickness as an eggshell—but have incredible strength and durability. A dentist will adhere these facings over the front of teeth that have a cosmetic imperfection. They are used to cover:
- Permanently stained teeth
- Misaligned/crooked teeth
- Fractured/chipped teeth
- Gapped teeth
- Unusually shaped teeth
Concealing these imperfections is easy with porcelain veneers.
How are porcelain veneers created and attached?
First, patients consult with Dr. Andrew Greenberg of Mouth Carolina Dentistry, PA to determine if they are an appropriate candidate for porcelain veneers. A preparation appointment is scheduled, during which the team will prepare the teeth for the veneers. This includes the removal of a thin portion of the enamel on the front of the tooth. This removal is only about half of a millimeter. Then Dr. Andrew Greenberg takes impressions of the teeth before sending them to a dental laboratory. A ceramist will fabricate the final veneers and send them to the practice. Patients come back to the office to have their veneers attached to the front of the prepared teeth for the finished results.
What are the advantages of porcelain veneers?
There are significant benefits to choosing porcelain veneers over alternative cosmetic solutions. Below are just a few of the advantages that porcelain veneers have:
- Versatility. Porcelain veneers are incredibly versatile and can offer either subtle changes or dramatic transformations. These restorations can address several concerns with a single treatment.
- Durability. Because porcelain veneers are durable and beautiful, they often last many years. In fact, most patients who have porcelain veneers and take good care of them will enjoy them for a decade or longer.
- Easy maintenance. Porcelain veneers are very easy to care for. Patients brush and floss as they usually do. However, periodontal disease and tooth decay may still affect the natural tooth underneath the veneer, so routine dental examinations are critical to ensuring overall health.
- Natural appearance. Dentists use porcelain in many aspects of dentistry because the material replicates the appearance of natural tooth enamel. Because the porcelain veneers are made to match the color of the existing teeth, the dentist can ensure a seamless look.
- Affordability. Porcelain veneers are an affordable option, especially when patients consider the length of time they can last. Alternative solutions, such as composite resin bonding materials, may quickly stain and require replacement every few years. Porcelain veneers will stand the test of time and have a less expensive annual cost when compared to other options.
Who is considered a candidate for porcelain veneers?
To determine candidacy for this and other restorations, our dental team will discuss with patients the requirements to be a good fit. Patients should have a smile free from periodontal disease and decay. Patients should also have significant amounts of healthy enamel free from erosion. Patients who have conditions such as bruxism, which can cause clenching and grinding, may want to avoid veneers or ensure they protect their teeth with mouthguards. In most situations, patients will have the opportunity to benefit from porcelain veneers. However, a thorough evaluation is recommended before moving forward. Additionally, our team can educate patients on the benefits of alternatives if they are not a proper candidate for porcelain veneers.
Request a visit today with Dr. Andrew Greenberg
Dr. Andrew Greenberg of Mouth Carolina Dentistry, PA believes in providing ongoing education to patients to help them choose high-quality, yet affordable, cosmetic solutions. If you are interested in learning more about porcelain veneers for smile enhancement, we can help. To make an appointment, call our Charleston, SC practice today at (843)751 4262. We serve patients through our advanced clinic, conveniently located at 3 Gamecock Avenue, Suite 302.
Mouth Carolina Dentistry, PA - Dr. Andrew Greenberg
Dr. Andrew Greenberg completed his Bachelor’s Degree in New Orleans, Louisiana at Tulane University. He graduated from the Medical University of South Carolina College of Dental Medicine in 2009, where he portrayed excellent academic performance. He exercises his academic brilliance to the benefit of his patients every day. He grew up in a family with a dental background and showed interest in the field since his early days.