Dental Bridges Procedure
At Mouth Carolina Dentistry, we offer a wide range of restorative and cosmetic procedures. Dental bridges could be considered both, because replacing a missing tooth is essential to your oral health, as well as the appearance of your smile. Dr. Greenberg is a talented cosmetic dentist who takes great care in designing each restoration, for a natural and gorgeous result.
A dental bridge is a complete unit, made up of dental crowns and prosthetic teeth fused together. The most common design has a single pontic (false tooth) with a dental crown on each side. The crowns are placed over existing teeth, providing solid support for the restoration. The procedure is convenient and comfortable, very similar to that for a crown, and the entire process is completed in a matter of weeks:
- We begin with an examination and consultation to ensure that a bridge is the best solution for you.
- The teeth on either side of the gap are shaped and prepared, exactly as they would be for dental crowns.
- We will take impressions, which are sent to the laboratory where the bridge is fabricated. A partial denture, temporary bridge, or other provisional appliance may be placed.
- When your new bridge is ready, we will arrange a follow-up appointment.
- The provisional is removed, and the bridge is temporarily placed, so that your dentist can verify the fit, color, and appearance are correct.
- The final step is permanently cementing the two crowns over the prepared teeth.
- Once complete, your teeth will look natural, and feel stable.
Aftercare is relatively simple. With a bridge, you can eat and drink what you wish. Good oral hygiene is essential, just as it is with untreated teeth. When you brush and floss, you will need to clean under the tooth, which can be accomplished with an implement such as an oral irrigator, a floss threader, or stiff ended dental floss.
If you have any questions, you are encouraged to ask. We are your partners in oral hygiene, and we believe that patient education is one of our most valuable services. Just call us at (843)751 4262 and arrange a consultation.Back to Dental Bridges Page